Monday, January 26, 2009

Top 5 Books Enjoyed and Recommended By Me

Diane would arguably say that my top 5 book picks are only my top 5 because their my only 5, so I'll beat her to the punch. But i wanted to give a list of books I really enjoyed. These are not in any particular order.


  • A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson. This author is one of my favorites. He has a funny, dry sense of humor. He usually writes about his own experiences, but in this book he gives us a history lesson of, well, nearly everything. Only this is like the interesting trivia of history; things you might not otherwise know. A must read for any history buff.
  • A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. Bill Bryson spent a period of his life living in Europe. When he moved back to the states, his home was near one of the sections of the Appalachian Trail. He decided he would like to hike the entire thing and write a book about it.
  • The Courtship of Princess Leia by Dave Wolverton. This is a Star Wars book that takes place a few years after Return of the Jedi. It is an action packed adventure that leads up to the wedding of Han and Leia.
  • Han Solo At Star's End by Brian Daley. An adventure with Han and Chewie taking place before the first Star Wars movie (or 4th depending on how you count them)
  • And last, a book I've just started but destined to become one of my top 5, Jpod by Douglas Coupland. This is a fictional book about a group of video game designers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Coupland was the man who coined the term "generation x." Several of my friends are reading that book. Let me know what you think of it.
I need to get "Walk in the Woods." I read the other Bryson book on your list and enjoyed it.
Other than that, the only book on your list that I've read is "The Courtship of Princess Leia." Although I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that.

Roy O'Dowd said...

So far, I'm really enjoying JPod. I'm embarrassed to say, but I came across the book because I was looking up an actor for a show I was watching, and saw that she was in a short lived TV show in Canada called JPod based on the book. I watched all 13 episodes of the show, got addicted and decided to get the book. Diane loved the show too, and is also reading the book. It's styled as though you are reading in off the Internet, lots of adds and stuff peppering the story. I saw a lot of other Coupland titles I liked and may go after those next.