Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Murderers Don't Kill People, Hospitals Do.

There is a murder trial going on this week for a guy that shot 4 people, 1 of which died immediately, 1 died later in the hospital, the other 2 lived, at our TGI Friday's awhile back. Now before I go too far in this story, let me put on my southern lawyer voice, and wipe the sweat from my brow with a handkerchief and say, "I'm not an expert in law." I do know that there are different levels of murder ranging from accidental, self defense, involuntary, what not, so I know what I'm about to say may not be that absurd. But the defense lawyer is stating that the hospital didn't work hard enough to save the life of the one that died in the hospital. I'm sure those weren't the exact words, but it basically boiled down to it's the hospital's fault he died.

I'm sure the gunshot wound had nothing to do with it.

I know it could mean the difference in the death penalty and life in prison, or something, so sure, why not try for something less, but still. Could you imagine being the lawyer, or better yet being one of those "assigned" lawyers to the people that can't afford them. What do you do if you know your guy is guilty, there were witnesses, but you still have to defend him the best way you know how?

I guess lawyers can do it, but I couldn't.

No comments: